The Main Event

We plan and plan and plan and nothing ever goes exactly how we plan, does it?   We plan and God laughs. 

I was scheduled to have a savi scout device placed in my left breast next to the clip that had been implanted at the time of my biopsy on Monday 1/20.  NOthing like waiting until the last minute.  Why should I be surprised?  My stupid EKG clearance back in 2011 was the day before surgery.  The Savi Scout is a little radio transmitter to help my surgeon focus on where to make the incision. 

I went in, put on my cape- the true mark of a cancer-fighting superhero- and prepared for the "easy" process of implanting that Savi Scout marker.   I am waiting, waiting.  The radiologist is trying to make contact with the surgeon to discuss where to drop the Savi Scout.   I keep waiting and then the radiologist comes in and says "Change of plans.  I have to talk to Dr. Mansker because I think I need to drop the Savi scout between the two areas."  Whoa, back the fuck up!  Mark between the TWO areas? What TWO areas?  Why wasn't a sample taken from the second area during the biopsy? Why is the first time I have heard about the second area?  Have I not been listening? Have I blanked out? What in the world is going on?   So Dr. Mansker was not in town and we had to wait until the next day to determine placement of the Savi Scout marker(s).   WIll there be one "between the two sites?" Will there be two to "Bracket" the area?  Will they go in with wire markers to bracket the area?  Radiologist and surgeon to discuss and then they will have me "pop in" for a quick procedure.   No, I can't just "pop in." I had planned to work a full day and then even some overtime to get ready for this.  I needed to work at least a half day.  So I ended up going in on Monday afternoon- MLK day to do a few hours of work. I went in on Tuesday morning to do some work as well, and headed back over to Beaufort to find out what was to happen.   They implanted two Savi scouts to bracket the area. I just took the rest of the day off to prep and relax.

Wednesday 1/22 was surgery day.  I was not to show up until 10:30 with surgery scheduled for sometime around 12:05.  It was approximately 12:45 when the surgeon and anesthesiologist showed up to get me ready. I was getting so hungry. But I had waited that long, what was a few more minutes?

I guess they finally got started around 1:00. I recall being taken into the surgical suite and looking up at a light. The next thing I remember is being groggy and trying to wake up enough to get dressed, hear a post surgical report and go home.   I remember hearing that maybe I would get pathology by Friday but that didn't happen so I am waiting for Monday.   Why not? Nothing this past week went as planned.   Second area of concern? Second Savi Scout? Late surgery? Larger margins taken?  I hope it means I am in line for some good news now.  I am just so frustrated.

And everyone keeps telling me how strong I am. If they only knew.   They would be so disappointed.

Comments

Popular Posts