Are You Ready to Rumble?

There are two fighters in the ring ready for a quick round.  The first is a few cells in my left breast.  They are small, but mighty. They have been working hard to gain strength. They have been trying hard to build up something that will solidify, but they have not been able to get there just yet.  They are ready to fight though.  Welcome to the ring "Microcalcificaaaaaaationnnnnnssss." That is "microcalifications" for those who don't want to sound it out.

In the other corner, there is me.  Armed with knowledge. Armed with a great treatment team and with a game plan.  We have paced out how this is going to work. Sure, we know things can happen but my team knows how to deal with every unplanned eventuality.   In this corner there is "Jennnnnnifferrrrr."

I had a nice little respite over Christmas break. Time to clear my head and prepare myself for the rest of the news I would receive.  I had time to think about what might be the worst and best case scenarios. I had time to consider various "game day decisions" and what decision I might make when I got a little more information.

On December 31, I had my mother by my side to meet with the two people I thought would be the scariest people I might ever meet.  A radiation oncologist and a medical oncologist.  On New Years freaking Eve.  Really?? I have to talk about cancer on New Years Freaking Eve???  I was not looking forward to it, but wow did it turn out way different.

When I walked through the doors of these two doctors,  I was immediately greeted with kindness and compassion.  I was re-assured that my treatment plan was pretty normal and that while it is not anything to ignore, it is far from a worst case scenario situation.   Now I know surgery comes first, then healing from that.  Next comes radiation for five days a week for six weeks. Yes, that sounds like a lot but it's pretty normal.  The timing, methodology and side effects were all explained.  Fatigue is the worst expected and usual side effect.  I don't love it, but the fact its not chemotherapy with hair loss and nausea is a huge relief.   Once I finish radiation therapy, I will begin a long term dose of hormone inhibitors to block estrogen which should keep it from coming back to me.   That's my knockout punch.   The first round is the lumpectomy. Sure it is surgery, but it's outpatient and shouldn't be too overwhelming.

Game time is January 22nd. That's the date when the big show begins.  See you in the ring CANCER. I plan to kick your butt.

Comments

Popular Posts