The Follow Up Call

I got that call that no-one ever wants to get.  "Hi, I am calling for Jennifer. Please call the radiology clinic to make an appointment for follow up as soon as possible. There were some calcifications seen in the images. The number is ....."

As the images were viewed by the technician last week, I could see something different on her face and in her eyes.  You just "know" when you see something looks different. 

When I left, she said "Someone will be calling you about the results. People always get worried and I hate to say I might call, but I hope I will be calling with nothing but good news." She has never said anything before about a call, or who might be giving me a call.  Never.  There is usually a "no news is good news" policy. If I don't hear anything, I don't worry.  It's only when I get a follow up call that I do worry. I guess that's one of the good things about "military medicine." The doctors and clinics are usually so busy that they don't have to time to schedule appointments to review results. If you don't hear anything, you just move on.

So I got that call.  "It's Laura with Dr M's office.  Please make a call to schedule a follow-up with radiology." My words were only "oh my." So I made the call as soon as possible to schedule follow up.  I know I tend to overthink things and I don't want to overthink this, but somehow I just "know" this is more than just routine stuff. 

The scariest part about "knowing" is the thought of being a "burden" to anyone.   I keep wondering who will be the first person I will tell if there is something to tell. Who will I tell at all?   Who will help my husband process all of this? Will anyone be there for my husband to help him process all of this?  Probably so, because he's an amazing human being. He's everything that anyone could ever hope for, but I am nothing.

My family is already facing a possible health crisis with my sister-in-law.  That's enough worry. My father is going to be 80 and he has a few health problems himself, so that's enough for my mother to handle.  My husband is already pre-diabetic and he needs to care for himself, but I try to help him with that.  Again, enough for my family to consider.  I just want all of them to be okay.  I will take whatever comes my way, but just need for everyone else to be okay.

So here is where I think this is going?  I will go for the images. I will get the follow up call. I will get medication or have doctor's appointments and have things taken care of, and if I have to take medication I will just take with little to no fanfare or announcement. Hopefully it will not be bad enough that I have to miss work or change my physical appearance, hair loss, et cetera.  Hopefully I don't need anyone or anything. I don't want to worry my parents. I don't want to worry my brother. I have no friends to rely upon.  I hope I don't need my Will and POA anytime soon.

Comments

Popular Posts